The John M. and Gertrude E. Petersen Events Center provides unprecedented recreational opportunities for University of Pittsburgh students. From Pitt Panthers Division I basketball, to space for concerts, commencement, and other sports, the Petersen Events Center has it all.
Joint Venture Partners
$10 million was donated by John and Gertrude Petersen—At the time, the largest single donation in Pitt’s history.
$53 million in state funds were committed.
430,000 total square feet, which includes an auxiliary basketball practice facility, office space, media space, and athletic training facilities
12,508 for basketball, 9,000 for end-stage concerts
Five courtside luxury suites, six club suites, six loge suites, and five building levels, which include the main lobby, event, lawn, club, and concourse levels.
- 16,000 square feet of lobby space with 90' high ceilings
- 40,000-square-foot student recreational center
- Incredible view of the entire University of Pittsburgh campus
- Permanent wood floor with 1,200 courtside student seats
- McCarl Panthers Hall of Champions, which is the grand showcase for the University of Pittsburgh’s illustrious athletic achievements
- Pittsburgh Panthers merchandise shop, which features the world’s largest selection of Pittsburgh Panthers merchandise
- One of the only arena's in the country to feature 5 courtside luxury suites allowing our guests close up access to basketball and concert action
Counting Crows concert—October 13, 2002
Pittsburgh Panthers Basketball
First Women’s Basketball Game vs. Robert Morris University—November 22, 2002
First Men’s Basketball Game vs. Duquesne University—November 23, 2002